Monday, June 8, 2015

Silas Marner, by George Eliot

Read, reviewed, and released in December, 2003-January, 2004

I had read an excerpt of this book in high school, and was very unimpressed. I had no desire to read the book at all, judging from that particular excerpt (Silas in his cottage, counting his gold). This book is a gem! I am sorry I waited so long to read it. I have no idea why the editors of my high school literature textbook chose that particular passage - there are many much more interesting ones, that might whet one's appetite for reading more. I didn't give it a perfect 10, because there were left some unanswered questions about the mystery of Silas' past, and of Godfrey's relationship with Molly. But, maybe that's part of the charm - the reader supplies her or his own answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, please