Thursday, June 18, 2015

My Losing Season: A Memoir, by Pat Conroy



Read and reviewed in February 2011. Given to my son.

More interesting than I thought it would be! I am not a sports fan, so the first chapter, which was all about a basketball game between The Citadel and Auburn University, did not interest me. Two things kept me reading: I am an Auburn fan, and I was away from home, and this was all I had with me to read! I'm glad I did. It was more than basketball; it was a memoir of Mr. Conroy's life at The Citadel, a military school in South Carolina, and his relationships with other students, team members, his coach, and his professors, with flashbacks to his early childhood. It was hard reading about the abuse he suffered from his father, and the agonies of Hell Week his freshman year, and I didn't particularly like the "cussing and swearing", but it was an integral part of college life and team sports. There were some positive parts, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, please