Friday, July 10, 2015

The Paris Architect: A Novel, by Charles Belfoure



Read and reviewed in January, 2015

I don't remember where I got this book, or when. It is a new trade paperback, marked down to $9.64 from $14.99. It's possible that it was part of a 3 for $10 deal at the grocery store.

It is a fictional account of the German Occupation of Paris during World War II. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I read it. A very thrilling and exciting story, as well as very disturbing. I had to put it down several times, as it was so intense.
Lucien Bernard, the Parisian architect, accepts an unusual commission from a wealthy industrialist. Design hiding places for Jews so clever that the Nazis will never find them, and in exchange, be rewarded with important commissions to build bigger and more efficient factories for German weapons. As the story develops, Lucien grows in character and compassion.

(start 23)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, please