Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland, by Jim DeFede



I had seen an article on Facebook about the events in Gander, Newfoundland on 9/11/2001, and this book was mentioned in the article. I posted about it on a Bookcrossing forum, and said that I would like to read the book. A fellow Bookcrosser generously offered to send me her copy!

A wonderful book, a true account of the events in Gander, Newfoundland and surrounding areas following the attacks of September 11, 2001. All airspace in the USA and even North America was closed, and all flights in progress had to land ASAP at the nearest airport that could accommodate them. Gander had been the site of a huge military airbase during World War II, as a fueling station en route to Europe, so it was easily able to accommodate many airplanes. There were passengers from all over the world, with many cultural differences. The good citizens of Gander (and surrounding areas) very graciously provided food, medicine, shelter, bedding, even clothing, transportation to stores, etc, and did not forget the pets still on board the planes. The dietary needs of three Orthodox Jewish passengers were provided. Friendships were formed. It is a very heart-warming and inspirational book. I enjoyed it thoroughly and would highly recommend it!

I no longer have this book; I donated it to my church's semi annual yard sale to fund missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, please