Saturday, November 28, 2015

In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote



A psychological thriller, a novel based on the facts concerning the murder of the Clutter family in a small town in west Kansas. Includes in depth descriptions and character studies of the victims and of the criminals, as well as of the friends and family members of both, and of the detectives.
I was afraid to read this, afraid it would be too disturbing for me, but now that I have read it, I am glad I did. Mr. Capote was an excellent writer. From the beginning I was deeply involved in the lives of the family and of the perpetrators. However, there is some controversy; family members and others who knew Mr. and Mrs. Clutter and their children are very unhappy with Capote's portrayal of them. And, there are some discrepancies with the facts of the case, as recorded in court records. I guess we can chalk that up to "poetic license," but I do think that Mr. Capote should have made that clear in his Acknowledgments section.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for review this book. I've had a copy of it sitting on my to be read shelf for more time than I care to admit. I've been curious about reading In Cold Blood. Like you, I've wondered if this book would be too disturbing to read. So, perhaps I shall move it up a bit abd read it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had it on my shelf for a long time, two or three years, before I got up the nerve to start reading it. I don't think you'll be sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments, please