Friday, August 21, 2015

A Child Who Reads ...


This image courtesy of www.birthdaywishes.expert

"A child who reads will be an adult who thinks." I am a strong believer in reading to children, teaching them to read, and encouraging them to read. I have always loved to read. My parents read to me at bedtime. I tried to learn to read before I started school, and managed to read and write a few words. Once I started reading books on my own, there was no stopping me!

I read to my children, and enjoyed it as much as they did. Even after they were reading independently, I read books aloud to them that were a little more advanced than their reading levels, and books that they might not have chosen. I have two sons, and we read Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz, books they might have passed over, as they featured girls as lead characters.

They are grown now. One of them loves to read as much as I do. The other not so much; he prefers watching TV (as my husband does). He does read to his children, and encourages them to read, so the torch is being passed. With so many other temptations: computers, TV, Leapfrog, etc., I do hope my grandchildren will be readers. There is nothing like reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, please