Sunday, January 17, 2016

Disappointed in Random House/UPS

Today, Sunday, I found my latest Early Reviewer book from LibraryThing in my yard, damp. Here is the "review" I wrote for LibraryThing:

This book was in my yard, damp after having been in the rain as it was thrown over the fence by the carrier, UPS. It was in cardboard-reinforced manila envelope - no plastic liner, no bubble wrap, which would have protected it from the rain. We do have a gate, which was locked, and the carrier could not have come to the door nor rung the doorbell. He/she could have taken it back to the local distribution center and called me later, or sent a message through the mail to call UPS.
Right now, the book is on my drying rack in our garage. I am almost finished with the book I am currently reading, and hope this one will dry soon so I can start reading it.


I am looking forward to it, after it is dry. It will be my second book in a row about a country in Africa, as I am almost finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, set in Congo. I have previously read and enjoyed a few of the Ladies Detective books by Alexander McCall Smith about Mma Ramotswe of Botswana, and Manor House by Johannes Meintjes, set in South Africa. Oh, and I almost forgot that A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve was set in Kenya. So that's half a dozen books about, or set in Africa.

This will be the second one written by a native of the continent; Jowhor Ile is Nigerian, and Johannes Meintjes was South African.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, please